Split ends, annoying and unsightly, are likely to ruin the beauty of long hair. Here’s how to prevent them and get rid of them
Split ends are a disagreeable inconvenience for those with medium or long hair and do not cut them very often. But what are they and how do they present themselves? The texture of the hair appears uniform until the lower end, where, in this case, the single hair has a tip that forks and in some cases triples, weakening the structure and giving an appearance of neglect and lack of vitality to the entire hair that, especially after the summer, requires invigorating treatments to get your hair back into shape.
Obviously it is a predominantly female consequence, exacerbated by the use of dyes, products to oxygenate hair, plates and other aggressive treatments. Yet it is not a problem without solution: split ends can be overcome by popping the hair but also taking care of them and making sure that they grow without breaking, getting tired and presenting this annoying condition.
The causes of split ends
Why do split ends form? The reasons are varied and varied.
- Predisposition: who has fine and fragile hair, tending to break, or dry and weak more easily with split ends, which cause a ruined appearance and not beautiful to be seen on the end of his hair;
- High temperatures: the hot phon is likely to cause damage to the tip that is forced to split;
- Plates and curling iron: the plate, like iron, has a deleterious effect on the tips, again due to the problem of heat and excessive temperatures;
- Tinctures and oxygenations: the bleaching is obtained with chemical products that risk in the long run to “cook” the hair by subjecting the tips to excessive stress;
- Aggressive shampoos: shampoos with components that are too aggressive to clean the hair are likely to weaken them;
- Pollution: even the smog is likely to weaken the stem and cause damage to the hair;
- Wind, sun, chlorine: atmospheric agents dry, ruin and weaken the hair;
- Unbalanced diet: the hair is often the mirror of a more or less healthy body and, if the body has toxins, they are affected by brightness and health.
How to prevent split ends
Can split ends be prevented? Yes, and it is always better than cure them. Given that there are more hair and less likely to weaken, to avoid this inconvenience can be taken some precautions.
- Avoid aggressive treatments: avoid as much as possible to discolor hair, avoid chemicals, repeated dyes;
- Protect your hair from the sun with sprays and masks;
- Avoid collecting them too often: even tight elastics weaken the hair fiber;
- Avoid too aggressive shampoos: better opt for those with a neutral pH or natural ingredients;
- Avoid chemical stretching;
- Limit the use of plate and irons and, if possible, also of the hair dryer: a natural drying will avoid different stresses to the hair;
- Avoid brushing too vigorously;
- Apply masks and moisturizers regularly;
- Make targeted treatments at the hairdresser like oxygen therapy.
Remedies for split ends
And if the split ends have now formed?
The first solution, the simplest, is to cut. A pair of scissors can heal the general health of the hair more than any treatment. The new tips that are created after checking the old ones must be treated and treated with great care, with reconstructive treatments, masks and moisturizing creams and avoiding in any way to subject them to stress and injury.
Warning: there are on the market products and treatments that proclaim themselves “miraculous” for the war on split ends. Very often it is not so, these are elements that only seem to restore health to the hair. For safety, it is always best to consult the trusted hairdresser.
Treatments for split ends at the hairdresser
Even hairdressers offer different regenerating treatments such as keratin treatment, ranging from simple masks to new cutting-edge solutions to make hair shiny, soft and healthy.
Here are the different alternatives to scissors.
- Treatments with keratin: do not replace a clean and vigorous cut but restore the hair by fortifying the ends and partially restoring split ends;
- Moisturizing masks: they help to build a barrier against dryness and prevent hair from getting damaged;
- Hair Dusting: this new technique involves the use of scissors and is a light thinning of the hair to eliminate the damaged parts without having to subject the hair to a drastic cut. This is a novelty of the American salons that is spreading too.
In any case, the first rule for not having split ends and have the utmost care of their hair and try to ruin them as little as possible. The more natural they are, the better, and if you need to dye them, iron or curl them, ask the right hairdresser.