Plopping is a drying technique that is widely used because it guarantees a well-defined curly hair without stress. Let’s find out how.
Have you ever heard of plopping? It is now a technique used to facilitate the drying of wavy and curly hair.
Plopping will allow you to have curly and well-defined hair without the use of straighteners and curlers. Curly hair is known, not always easy to manage, especially during drying, because most of the time it can swell, especially if specific products are not used.
We give you some more tips for drying curly hair according to the plopping technique.
Plopping: what it is
Wavy hair and especially curls are difficult to dry, because they tend to swell and become frizzy, without a well-defined shape.
The plopping technique is useful when curly hair must be dried without resorting to the use of curling irons. In recent years it has become a really useful drying method as it not only guarantees a well-defined and perfect curl, but also does not damage the hair. The plopping technique is recommended only for medium length hair.
But how do we proceed? Here are all the steps to follow:
- make shampoo: always using natural and slightly aggressive products, also always choose specific products for the type of hair: dry, oily, mixed, brittle or with dandruff. The hair must first be wet with lukewarm water, then you can apply the shampoo, massage gently with your fingertips. Do not focus too much on the ends, because you would risk ruining them and they could become electrified after drying. Remove any shampoo residue;
- apply the conditioner: always specific for your hair, apply on the lengths and ends, leave on for 5 minutes. This step should never be avoided because the conditioner softens the hair and untangles the knots;
- comb your hair with a wide-toothed comb, start at the ends and proceed downwards. If the hair is difficult to manage, you can use some hair oil to nourish and soften it;
- rinse your hair with plenty of lukewarm water, only the last rinse do it with cold water so as to close the scales keeping them hydrated. If you do not remove any conditioner, the hair will tend to weigh it down and make drying more difficult;
- apply a high definition mousse: just apply a walnut on the lengths and ends, with the palm of your hand, wrinkle your hair, in this way you give the right volume, so they do not swell during drying;
- wrap your hair in a cotton or microfibre towel: in order to eliminate excess water, do not squeeze to not break the fibers. Alternatively, you can wrap your hair in a t-shirt.
After washing your hair you can proceed with drying, on a table, place your shirt or towel, rest your head in the center, roll the sides to the right and left of your head on yourself. Then you have to close with a knot behind the head, you have to leave the hair so gathered for at least 3 hours, or the time necessary for it to dry. If you can, it would be preferable to leave it longer or even overnight. To facilitate the technique, watch the video carefully by clicking here.
But if you don’t want to leave your hair for a long time with a towel on your head, you can opt for this other solution. Leave on for only half an hour, then proceed with the classic drying with phone and diffuser.
Only when the hair strands are dry, remove the shirt or towel and you will immediately notice that the hair will be of a perfect and well-defined curl. In addition, the styling will last a long time.